Thursday 25 February 2010

My Country

The United Kingdom is my country, and no one has the right to take it away from me.

There is no precedent for a referendum on secession, to which devolution does not compare.

The continued existence of the state is a matter for the whole state. And there is no state in the United Kingdom except the United Kingdom. That is a fact.

Who is to vote in this proposed referendum in Scotland? Everyone on the electoral register? Which one? For local, European and Holyrood elections, any resident EU citizen can be registered. Are they to have a vote on the continued existence of my country? While I have no vote?

Not that it is ever going to happen. The SNP is finished for at least a generation, on course to come third behind the Tories this year. Its level is indicated by its faffing about with something like this under the current economic circumstances.

2 comments: