Friday 21 January 2011

Tony The Phoney

Rod Liddle writes:

The more you read, the more you discover that it was Blair – entirely alone in the country – who wished to invade Iraq in 2003. The cabinet didn’t want to, even Blair’s cabal didn’t want to. Even Alastair Campbell had grave reservations. Everyone around him thought it wrong, or illegal, or both. And watching him shift around in his seat at the Chilcot Inquiry, with his “well, you know, look…..” and his newly refreshed stock of evasions, I’m reminded of Neil Young’s lyrics, from the song Ambulance Blues – an attack, at the time, upon Nixon. But hell, if the cap fits:

‘I never knew a man
Could tell so many lies
He had a different story
For every set of eyes
How could he remember
Who he’s talking to?
Because I know it isn’t me
And I hope it isn’t you.’

No comments:

Post a Comment