Tuesday 8 January 2013

Rancid

I sent out one less-than-fawning tweet about David Miliband. My comments on That Speech are now being pre-moderated both by The Spectator and by the New Statesman. I am very, very, very proud of this.

A comeback? Nah. He now makes so much outside Parliament, and so rarely attends it, that I doubt he'll contest the next Election.

He was never any good. I once heard him tell a Labour Party audience, and therefore a room full of teachers, that differences in attainment within the same school were purely a matter of "which teacher you are given".

He was the Schools Minister at the time.

6 comments:

  1. " I once heard him tell a Labour Party audience, and therefore a room full of teachers,...."

    Got it in one. The Labour party is a pressure group for white collar public sector workers, who hold most other working & lower-middle class people in contempt.

    You are a man of faith & morals, David, so I won't use the language I prefer to describe them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did he say purely? Or mostly? If its the latter, he's right. Unless you, with your vast education background, can show me otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Labour voted for the below-inflation cap on public sector pay. Some "pressure group for white collar public sector workers"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He used no adverb at all. Much of the audience almost fainted.

    And now that I think about it, it might technically have been a Fabian Society audience. Only making the point even more starkly. He must have known who they would be.

    I have heard him several times over the years. I have never been terribly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are putting you up on every other Coffee House thread and you are generating plenty of debate as ever. What makes Miliband the Special One?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The media specifically instructed the Labour Party to make him Leader so that he could attend Cabinet as Leader of the "Opposition" that he would have led into the division lobby in support of every cut, every war, and every Gove gimmick.

    But the insolent little Labour Party failed to do as it had been told. The consequent media tantrum will quite possibly never end.

    ReplyDelete