Saturday 2 August 2014

Recall This

I am neither a republican, nor a pacifist, nor a Welsh Nationalist. But this is why the Radical traditions are integral to our organic Constitution, as its very British trait of inbuilt self-criticism.

For all the Old Labour reasons, I am a Unionist to the core of my core. But I am very glad that they are there, these rural Radicals (it lived on in Wales) and these representatives of the Welsh peace tradition.

I only regret that they are in that, which is a matter for the Constituency Labour Parties charged with putting up candidates against them.

Plaid Cymru, the Labour Left, Caroline Lucas, George Galloway when he turns up: none of them is me, but I am glad that people like that are there.

The octogenarian Queen and the octogenarian Dennis Skinner each has a distinct role at the State Opening of Parliament as the latest, but not the last, in a long, long line.

Anything less would not be Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment