Friday 5 September 2014

Bitch

Roger Lord writes:

A man should keep his word.

This simple phrase can be found in various formulations everywhere from the Bible to Alfred the Great’s first laws. It is the basis of common law and justice.

Everyday life could not operate without the trust of strangers, even though we all know there are people we cannot trust or should at least be cautious of.

Perhaps we all omit to look closely at people we consider friends. Suddenly you find that some petty jealousy, that may have been festering for years, spills out in an act of vengeance.

Initially confusion predominates; but your mind then rationalises the situation.

A small phrase here or there, weeks ago, will come to mind, then others follow until a pile of evidence sits before you in your mind’s eye.

Then you have to come to terms with how stupid you have been not to notice, what a naive fool, so easily led and distracted.

There is inevitably anger. But in my experience, anger and hatred cloud the mind and do not solve problems. 

I have seen people tear themselves to bits, ranting and raving. Far better to go for a long walk on the beach or in a wood; take a deep breath and gets things in perspective.

Realise how lucky we all are in this country, just look at the news – every day almost – and you can be thankful for living in a wonderful place.

My solution to solving problems may seem very passive. A big impact was made on me by a very humble man, a Nepalese Sherpa, Dorje Khatri, recently killed on Everest along with many others.

After spending a month with him climbing, he became a strong influence on the way I approach problems in life. I wonder how he would have defined the concept of trust.

I trusted him to tie a knot in a rope, at minus whatever degrees in temperature, at nearly 20,000 feet, ready to abseil 1,500 feet from a summit.

He trusted me to ensure that the carabiners were clicked in, to secure him as well. If they are not, you can fall in a second.

A simple handshake and a smile can seal a lifetime of friendship and trust.

In the past few days these concepts of trust and anger have been to the fore as I think about Nigel Farage after many years of friendship and support on my part

Hatred is not part of my nature, anger I admit is there. The loss of trust is irreplaceable. Can anyone really trust him? Would you really sign a treaty with this man?

I have met people with whom I totally and passionately disagree, but there is a degree of trust because I know where they stand.

What do I think of Farage? Well it now seems that he has replaced democracy with his casting couch. 

Apparently if you fit the bill he will slip you into the position of his choice.

Now that Douglas Carswell is Nigel’s bitch, he will perpetually be picking up the political equivalent of prison soap.

Trust me on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment