Wednesday 12 October 2016

Neoliberalism Is Creating Loneliness

The fact that I am not listening to George Monbiot on this in Durham at this very moment illustrates his point. 

I am medically not allowed to drive, and the buses have been cut drastically by the ghastly Blairite throwback that is Durham County Council.

We are only eight miles from Durham city centre, yet the last bus out of Durham is now at 9:05 from Monday to Thursday, at a workable 11:15 on Friday and Saturday, and at a ridiculous 6:20 on Sunday.

The last bus in the other direction is from Consett, which is only five miles from Lanchester. It is at 8:27 from Monday to Thursday, at 10:40 on Friday and Saturday, and at 5:45 on Sunday.

And then there are the fares. How far can you go in London for the cost of travelling the slightest distance here?

For the first time in 26 years, I am starting to wonder whether I still want to live in Lanchester. I didn't grow up in the middle of nowhere, and it doesn't suit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment