Tuesday 29 August 2017

Not Soft In The Head

From Counterfire to the Morning Star, they are raising concerns that deserve to be taken seriously.

But I have not been a member of the Labour Party in many years, and I never will be again.

If I thought that Keir Starmer had pulled a fast one on Jeremy Corbyn and committed Labour to the Single-Market-and-Customs-Union-forever that is favoured by most of the Cabinet, then I would say so.

I am not saying so, because I can see no evidence whatever that that is so.

None of the several key policies in Labour's 2017 manifesto that were absolutely incompatible with Single Market membership has been abrogated in any way.

Several of those policies, such as the renationalisation of the railways, were and are immensely popular, and it is undeniable that everyone who voted Labour this year did at some level vote for that manifesto.

Therefore, it simply cannot be the case that the majority of those voters was in favour of "Soft Brexit".

No comments:

Post a Comment